A mother understands what a child does not say. -Jewish proverb

Friday, August 16, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Small

Small. A word that means something is little can be so big. My 3 year old is speech delayed. But when I compare him to other kids with special needs, his problems seem so small. I mean he can feed himself. He is potty training. He can walk. He can sit up. His problems are so small.

His accomplishments are big to me even if they are small things. He took himself to the potty today. That is a small thing for most three year olds but here. It is big! He is asking for drinks specifically juice when a year ago, he could only sign "more" and point. Today, we did a puzzle together and he sat for over 30 minutes to work on it. A year ago, our goal was 10 minutes of structured play time for every hour. He is making progress. I celebrate the small things with him and with all of my kids!

I don't post a lot about this on my personal Facebook page nor do any of my Facebook friends know about this blog. Why? Because I  am scared what they will think about me. Will they make me feel small with their comments? I once posted that my breastfed baby wasn't gaining enough and people's comments cut to the core. People in my family made me feel like I was starving my baby. I felt small.

This blog is small. I am trying to build my readership. If no one reads it, will it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Will my world come tumbling down? Nope. Sometimes, it just feels good to get it all out. If I can encourage someone in the process, I have succeeded.

Join the fun over at Five Minute Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment